Saturday, December 16, 2023

From a Far and Lovely Country

It has been a while since I read any of the books in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series so, for old times sake, I decided to read the latest book in the series, From a Far and Lovely Country by Alexander McCall Smith. Once again I was transported to the world inhabited by Precious Ramotswe and Grace Makutsi and their family and friends in Botswana.

My mother enjoyed reading the stories in this series and would lend the copies that I gave her to friends to also enjoy.

In this book they investigate the Cool Singles Evening Club which is suspected of deceiving single women by pairing them with married men. They also attempt to reunite a lady from America with family members in Botswana. Another moral dilemma is how to react when presented with a birthday present which is the wrong size. 

Precious Ramotswe always manages to find a positive solution to the problems encountered even when the solution may take a different path from the expected outcome. As the character looking for family members explains at the end of the book - 'I came looking for people ... and I found a country'.

This book is number 24 in the series.

No comments: