Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Pippi Longstocking

Nine year old Pippi lives in a house in a village with her monkey and her horse. It is soon obvious that Pippi is a child who enjoys adventures and also has special powers. Tommy and Annika, who live next door to Pippi's house, soon dicover that life is never dull when they are with their new neighbour. Who else do you know who is strong enough to carry a horse? 

Pippi Longstocking by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren is a classic children's book which I introduced to my ten year old grandson during first term this year. The book was first published in 1945 and shortly afterwards English editions were published. The books in this series have been translated into fifty languages.

The edition of the book that I own is illustrated by Lauren Childs, well known for the children's television series Charlie and Lola. Consequently my grandson enjoyed examining the copious illustrations as well as sharing the reading of the story with me. At times he became so engrossed with the adventure that he would take over and not let me read at all! What more can I say? Most children and adults will enjoy reading this book.

No comments: