Sunday, March 4, 2018

Wedgwood exhibition catalogues

A recent post in my Family Connections blog was about a Wedgwood cake stand that had belonged to several generations of my family. For follow-up research I borrowed two books about Wedgwood collections from the library.

Three centuries of Wedgwood: art, industry and design is a catalogue prepared by the National Gallery of Victoria in 1995. It provides a brief history of the Wedgwood Company plus a bibliography of items for further reading. The main section of the book is the illustrated catalogue of works displayed in the exhibition.

Wedgwood: artistry and innovation by Peter Kaellgren describes some of the Wedgwood items held in the Royal Ontario Museum, Canada. The author provides a description of the development of Wedgwood designs interspersed with photographs of items from the ROM collection. There are also short biographies of Wedgwood artists and designers plus a bibliography.

I did not find the design I was looking for in these books however I enjoyed looking at, and reading about, a selection of Wedgwood wares.

No comments: